2013 N.C. State Fair Competitive Exhibits Update
Special thanks to all the exhibitors who provided us with valuable feedback on our surveys last year! As a result of that feedback, we are pleased to announce the following improvements for this year’s competitions:
- Beer categories have been expanded to 23 categories.
- Beer registration will be exclusively online this year.
- Beer identification labels will be available for printing from the competitions page of the www.ncstatefair.org website.
- Previously included butter entries, now just a cheese competition
- Now known as an International Cheese Competition, accepting entries from around the world
- New category this year: Open Class Soft Ripened Cheese
Flower & Garden Exhibits
- New Creative Gardening exhibit category in 1st Flower Show
- Only one Bonsai Show this year
- Increase in premiums for the largest pumpkin by weight and the largest watermelon by weight
- The Market Display category has a new theme: “Harvest Celebration”.
- The Youth section has a new category: Best Decorated Sweet Potato.
Arts & Photography
- Criteria for judging will be listed in the premium book, and juror statements will be available for viewing upon request during the Fair.
Graphic Design Competition
- Formerly known as the Web & Graphic Design competition. This year, only graphic design entries will be received.
- Several new rabbit categories have been added to the competition.
- New Award: The Ashe County Piece Makers Quilt Guild will award a $25 prize to the blue ribbon winner from the Junior and Senior division quilted articles category.
- New categories: dried figs and watermelon rind preserves
- New Neomonde Artisan Bread Division for Culinary & Baking Students
- New Exceptional/Special Needs Division & Creative Cookie Award.
- New sugar-free, gluten-free, and fat-free categories added.
- New award: The ‘Ol North State Knitting Guild will award $50 to one of the first place winners from the hand knitted categories.
- New quilt category: Exhibitor’s Original Pattern
- Non-threaded Needlecraft categories added: Receiving blankets now accepted in the hand crocheted and hand knitted divisions.
Handicrafts & Hobbies
- New Adolescent Class (Ages 10-14); Youth Class now (Ages 15-18)
- New Woodworking changes:
- Hand & Power Carving now separate divisions
- New woodworking categories:
- Beginner Woodworking Technique (soap carving)
- Creative Woodworking (embellished wood crafts)
- N.C. theme Woodworking (depicts N.C. history or traditions)
- New Scrapbooking category: NC theme
- New Lego NC theme – travel/vacation category
- Best of Show Basketry & Woven Items Awards now include a recipient from the children and adolescent age groups.
- Sixth thru twelfth grades must cite sources and give credit for all data and information as needed.
N.C. State Fair, Wesley Wyatt, Manager
Mailing Address: 1010 Mail Service Center, Raleigh NC 27699-1010
Physical Address: 1025 Blue Ridge Blvd, Raleigh NC 27607
Phone: (919) 821-7400; FAX: (919) 733-5079